"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page."- Augustine of Hippo

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Hello Singapore!

We made it to Singapore! I apologize for not posting yesterday. I didn't have anything interesting to share since I spent the entire day either in airports or on planes, and then we didn't make it to our airbnb until after 2am. We had travel delays, missed connections, and more travel delays so we arrived about 5 hours later than planned, but I was thankful we made it here at all that day.

I will take a quick second to rant about China Eastern Airlines though. Their customer service was pretty terrible. After we knew we'd miss our connection the gate agent said there was nothing she could do to rebook us and that we'd have to figure it out in Shanghai. They also had no phone number to call for support either. So most of the day we had no idea whether we'd be able to make it to Singapore at all. Also, on our first flight we weren't allowed to use any type of electronics at all for the duration of the flight. What?! I don't have books with me since those are heavy, so electronics are my sole source of entertainment. I'm not sure how much of this is the airlines fault though and how much is the fault of laws and regulations. But our second flight we were able to use tablets for part of the flight, although cell phones had to remain completely off, so that makes me think it's not a law.

Anyways. We're staying at an airbnb for the duration of our time in Singapore- 7 nights. New record! It's a really spacious apartment on the 11th floor in a really nice and central area. There are two guys who live here who are very friendly.

Living room area:

View from the balcony at night:

We slept in this morning and had a slow start. When we finally left it was to find food, and we found ourselves in a Japanese food court. Lol. For a second I had to remind myself that we weren't actually still in Japan. It was different though because all of the menus were in English and we could understand them!! We decided on a ramen place (again, lol). I tried Sio ramen which is the salt based, and this one was described as also having butter and garlic flavors so it sounded perfect for me. It was okay but I didn't like it as much as the other types of ramen we've had.

Then we walked around the mall area searching for a salon since we both needed haircuts. I found one I was happy with and they gave the best scalp/neck rub. That was worth the price all by itself. I got a couple of inches cut off so my hair looks and feels so much healthier! Even the guy cutting my hair commented at first "your hair is dry, huh?". Yeah. It was that bad.

Then, drumroll please. We finally saw the new Beauty and the Beast movie!! I have been wanting to see it so bad but I was afraid we might miss it. It came out in Australia the day we left there, we couldn't find it in English in New Caledonia, and Japan still hasn't released it. I was afraid it might be out of theaters by the time we got here but we found it! And it was amazing. Beauty and the Beast is one of my all-time favorite movies and Emma Watson is the most wonderfully awesome person ever, so it was perfect. I loved every second of it. If anyone is looking for gift ideas for me- I want the new movie in Blue-Ray. 

Afterwards we walked around for a bit just seeing the sites. From the very little I've seen so far I can already tell it's a beautiful city. The architecture is very unique and they really make an effort to have trees and plants everywhere. The result is very pleasing. It's super hot and humid though. When we left the apartment earlier my phone said it felt like 102 degrees out and the humidity was almost 100%. It rained quite a bit today too, which was why it was a good day to go to a movie. Pretty much every day we're here the forecast is the exact same: high of 89, low of 77, chance of rain 80%.



We stopped by a grocery store on the way back to the apartment and grabbed some food for the next week. We found the jackpot- Kraft Mac 'n Cheese!! We cooked that up for dinner and it was delicious.

That's pretty much it for our day. A couple of house-keeping things. I may not be having daily blog-posts anymore and instead update when it's convenient and when we have interesting things to write about. I've been spending quite a bit of time on it and I want to cut back a bit. So I just wanted to warn you so you won't be alarmed (moms)! I expect I'll still write fairly regularly because I enjoy doing it for the most part, I just don't want to stress about it when it's not working.

Also, I published my Japan page! Please check it out and comment!

Update on the malware issue: PropellerAds was extremely unhelpful in providing any information or support for that incident so I've closed out my account with them. Please still inform me via email if you've seen any suspicious activity on your credit cards that you suspect was caused by the malware.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you finally made it to Singapore! I can't believe the first thing you got to eat was Ramen though - Ha! Your haircut looks great! I'm so glad that you got to see Beauty Beast! I want to see it too. I will miss the daily blog, but I understand and will look forward to when you do post updates! Enjoy your time there and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mom! It was pretty funny that we ended up in that Japanese food section, and then of course I got ramen.

      You should go see Beauty Beast!

      Delete